Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Truth Behind Fiction


Spotify is so cool. If "playlisting" isn't an official English word yet, it should be.

I was feeling like volunteering in that suicide-prevention site again a few hours ago. It's rejuvenating to help people. But, well, you never know which type of case you'll handle. The usual people I chat with there are victims of abuse. But the worst work so far was a war veteran who was suffering from trauma. PTSD is such a mystery. Even Harvard scientists are still trying to find a way to fixing that condition. So I just decided to not go back there for a while.

I'm sorry for disappearing from almost all over the Net. I was just busy focusing on my novel. Last night, I wrote an article about the true story that inspired it. It's basically about the things that were happening before and while I was writing the story, and how those things influenced the plot. Here are some parts of the article:

"I remember when I first got there, the people didn't want to talk to me. 'Because they can smell the truth out of you. You're from the good side of the law,' my friend later explained. They kept sending me to the wrong places. I did my best to fit in. The ground was like a dirty waterway. It was wet, uneven, and had unrecognizable parts of muck. There was garbage here and there."

"I walked deeper into the place. The corridor got narrower. I felt that I was being made to walk in a waterway. It was depressing. Imagine a place where the only separations between houses were gross waterways."

"The people were a diverse bunch. The poorest ones were those skinny and dark families who didn't know if they'd have something to eat by the end of the day. They lived in holes beside the most narrow waterways, and they didn't have light. The richest ones were far richer than me. God knows how many more wealth they truly had. They were crime lords who ran 'businesses' here and there. I think that they partner with each other every now and then, just like legal businessmen."

"I was finishing my HarvardX course while all these happened. I can't even imagine now how I finished it, but I finished it."

"I felt like crying when I finally got my first HarvardX certificate. It just made me look back to the past and how I never thought that I'd make it past the grade."

"I got into HarvardX Neuroscience because my mother had been making fun of the idea that the only thing I studied online was English. I was just feeling defensive. After all, my real interest had been Psychiatry. Neuroscience was the closest, since HarvardX still didn't have Psychiatry at that time.

Alongside Neuroscience, I also started writing '10th Commandment.' It was my first ever participation in NaNoWriMo, and, due to my weird nature at that time, I wrote it while studying for HarvardX.

Because it was a dangerous feat, I made the story less creative than all of my other stories. When I was younger, whenever I wrote a story, I was 100% creative. I always departed from normal and possible and wrote a story fully on whatever was made up by my imagination. But '10th Commandment' was made to be almost true. I just knew that a huge part of my mind will be busy with thinking of the things taught at Harvard, so I freed parts of it by writing a novel that didn't require much imagination."

"As I went on with the story, though, I realized that I made a mistake. I should have been as creative as ever. Because it was its realism that made '10th Commandment' extremely hard to write. So much rests on the shoulders of the lead character. The story is the lead character and vice versa."

"I won in my first NaNoWriMo and graduated from Neuroscience, but I never finished the story of '10th Commandment.' Probably because the truth behind it was still unfinished."

"The people told me to leave. It was one of those times when it was completely unfair. It was unfair. But in a place like that, what was fair? The only thing that I knew was that they were making me get out of the place. And you know, in a normal world, it's totally positive to get out of that place."

"You know, '10th Commandment' couldn't help but express my desire to leave that place. Did it happen exactly as I planned it? Actually, when I wrote '10th Commandment,' getting out of that place was just a dream. There was no plan to leave, but there was a wish."

(Photo credit: me)
Post a Comment