Sunday, August 30, 2015

Still Writing

August 24, 2015.
When I was a kid, I thought that, when I publish a book, I'd proudly show it off and place it at the top of the shelf in my house. Now that I've published a book and in the process of publishing another one, I learned that such a thing never happens to a writer. Nervousness and guilt are always eating away at me, making me wonder if what I wrote was right. Oh. Maybe I'm wrong. But even Nury Vittachi says that he regrets everything he's ever written.

Anyway, there are so many things that seem like something when people still haven't known them, and they turn out to be something else once they've known them. Writing is fun because, well, I just love writing. Everything just has its dark side, tho.

I remember being contacted by a 16-year-old girl on Twitter. She was like, "I'd like to be a writer like you. Tell me how you did it." Of course, I was happy to help. If there's anything more delightful than contributing to the world of books, it's adding another contributor. As I went on about the writing, research, and the creation of books, though, she became like, "I think I should just choose another job."

Oh, I can't lie and tell her that writing books is all about having her name printed near the title of a book and being known as an "author." At least, she learned the truth early enough.

Writing is hard only when a person is focused on the fanfare. For us who are just so in love with writing, we still complain, but we're still writing.
Post a Comment