Sunday, September 13, 2015

Developing My Poems

September 6. 6pm
I'm currently shifting between tragic themes and happy-ending themes in my poetry. Gregory Nagy said that "Love poems have universal appeal." But it depends on what kind of love poems.

I said in April that my reputation as a poet was poetic shape-shifting. I kept writing my poems from different POVs, and some of my poems actually featured more than five personas speaking at once. But another reputation I've had as a poet is writing love poems about dangerous men.

I was alarmed when I first learned about this. I always go through that moment when I'm like, "Whoa! Really? You like that poem?" But still go on to thank the reader for giving feedback.

I still haven't figured out what it is about those poems that people like. Right now, my guess is that it's just the overall theme of the common good-girls-love-bad-boys and opposites-attract idea. I have to admit that there truly is something captivating about the idea of opposing forces who just can't seem to leave each other alone. I don't know.

All that I'm doing now is develop that theme and bring it into some helpful and meaningful conclusion. Because my best critics say that my poems still lack in one-of-a-kind conclusions. They say what I achieve in poetry right now are just refreshing imagery and emotions.
Post a Comment