Sunday, June 26, 2016

Working on My Poetry


Hi!

While I was away in May, I got busy updating my online author platform. My online author platform hasn’t been updated since 2012 because I had been busy studying.

 

Anyway, here are the dates of creation and the personal meanings of each of the poems that I published this June:

“Thoughts” was written on September 29, 2014. It was actually about the Internet connection.

“Hunters” was also written on September 29, 2014. It was about my observation back then that humans basically still hunt for food like they used to in the prehistoric times. They just got jobs, money, and other artificial things these days.

“Bones” was written on September 30, 2014. It was a persona poem that was written from the voice(s) of my own ... um ... bones.

 

Here are the personal meanings of some of the poems that I have written for NaPoWriMo 2016:

“Machine” was about the main plot of my Camp NaNoWriMo 2016 April project, “Blue Eyes.” It also has an engineering theme.

People have gotten to know my poetry as having vivid imagery and conveying strong emotions, but I wanted to add variety to my works last April for fun. That was why I added something mechanical and technical.

“Premonition” was also about “Blue Eyes.” The poem started with the opening scene of the book, continued to describe the events that followed that scene, and then went back to the opening scene in the end.

“Long Distance” was a persona poem. It was about an old caretaker. I intentionally messed up Julius Caesar’s famous quote for the story within the poem.

For the poetry prompt from the NaPoWriMo website on that day, we were tasked to scan the titles on the spines of the books in our bookshelves and put those titles together in our own poems. I didn’t have any traditional, tangible, and literal bookshelf because I’ve been on-the-go. I only had digital bookshelves of my favorite ebooks.

This fact made me feel like I was not qualified to join the prompt, but I loved it and I wanted to join. Besides, nobody said I shouldn’t join just because I only had a digital bookshelf … I simply noted down my favorite ebook titles from these digital bookshelves and created “Long Distance” from the collection of titles. Creating the poem felt a bit like playing Scrabble, when I scramble and unscramble letter tiles to create the word with the highest possible score.

“A Day in the Life of Lisa” was also a persona poem. It was about a young girl who liked to hide in her tall condominium to get away from her many suitors. The character was inspired by a famous TV show character for pre-teens.

For the prompt from the NaPoWriMo site on that day, we were given something called an Almanac Questionnaire. It was a list of questions that asked certain things, and we were supposed to answer those questions under time pressure and create our poems based on our answers. I actually had great difficulty answering the Almanac Questionnaire within the required time limit because I was using a touch screen tablet with super small fonts and had to keep swiping between tabs and apps. After more than 5 retakes and copying the whole questionnaire to my smartphone, I finally finished it on time. Whew!

 

By the way, thanks a lot to the readers who continue to read and support. I appreciate it. It is so awesome that we are making it to the other side of 2016. So many books are still being written and published by our friends.
Post a Comment