Sunday, October 30, 2016

Hidden in My Poems


Hi, welcome back! I’m happy you made it. How are all of you?

Today, I will talk about the creations of the works that I have published all September.

I created “Singing” on December 6, 2014. It’s trying to tell my whole life through only the good parts. It’s pondering on why it should mention only the good parts. Then it ends by saying its creation itself is something good.

I created “Dark Dreams” on December 10, 2014. It’s about neighbors from hell.

I created “Flashbacks” on December 17, 2014. I luckily moved out of the home that had neighbors from hell, but this work is about having a quiet home and a noisy mind.

I created “A New Life” on December 20, 2014. It’s about survivor’s guilt.

 

I’m also gonna talk about the works I published during NaPoWriMo 2016.

On the 3rd day of NaPoWriMo, the optional prompt asked us to create something new. It asked us to create works that were like sweet fan letters to our dearest fave celebs.

I dedicated “Wicked” to my second fave celeb at that time, the great Richard Ashcroft of The Verve. “Wicked” is British slang for “cool.”

On the 8th day, we were asked to create works for flowers.

“A Message to the Flower” talks to a beautiful flower that gets soaked in the flood. The work promises that it will all be over.

On the 12th day, we were asked to create index poems.

“The Other Couple, 4” takes advantage of the theme by describing a love square.

On the 20th day, we were asked to create kennings.

“Hi, Hottie” is actually about someone I like. The volcano was just a metaphor.

On the 26th day, we were asked to create calls-and-responses. The form reminded me of that scene in Aeschylus’ “Agamemnon” that had Electra. She was asking the libation bearers how to worship Agamemnon.

I created “To Be Continued” in that form. The work is about a storyteller, telling a story to her listeners about a gladiator in the Colloseum. The listeners respond every now and then.

I was experimenting with a style where the work ends before the climax. That’s why it has this title.

There’s an error in the poem, though. The gladiators and Calliope do not belong to the same time and place. Calliope belongs to the earliest days of the ancient times, and gladiators came to be much later. Calliope is Greek, and gladiators are Romans.

On the 7th day, we were asked to create a tritina.

“Pond of Beautiful Charm” is like “Made of Dreams” and “Chimes of Heart.” It combines beautiful words together. But what makes it different from the two is that it kinda has a deep meaning.

It's about the saying, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” Most people understand poetry only from their personal perspective. They rarely understand them from the perspective of the poets. My work says that the beauty in my creations did not come from me. Instead, it came from my readers’ interpretations.

On the 19th day, we were asked to create didactic poems.

“How to Love” is about “Manglehorn.” I love the final scene of the movie, when Manglehorn “caught” the key from the phantom mime. The scene is just so meaningful.

These are all I can say about NaPoWriMo 2016 for now.

 

By the way, I might skip NaNoWriMo this year. I will not attend this year’s NaNoWriMo as long as I do not catch up in my other project.

That’s all for today. Thanks for reading and good luck! And advanced Happy Halloween!
 
Post a Comment