Week 5 Recap: #100DaysOfCode

|
Charlene Delfin

 

Day 29: May 29, 2023


Today's Progress: I solved the problem from yesterday - which seemed to suggest that I should solve it using slice() and splice() - by not using slice() or splice(). I proceeded to the next problem, where I am not using anything new again and instead resorting to my C ways.

Thoughts: Ever since I started programming, I have been in only two very difficult situations: 1) Finding no existing solution to my problem, not even in Stack Overflow. And 2) Producing the correct code that returns the correct data, but still having tests keep insisting that it's wrong. My code above really returns 3, and the test says it should return 3, but the test won't accept my code as correct. Maybe I should delete the whole thing and rewrite the same thing, that is sometimes the solution because the screen seems to sort of freeze. If that's not the problem, maybe I should make it return an array. If not that either, I'll come up with something. *grim facial expression*


Day 30: May 30, 2023


Today's Progress: I figured out what was wrong with my code from yesterday, and finished the Basic Algorithm Scripting section. I proceeded to the Object Oriented Programming section, where I finally learned what constructors are all about. Constructors were suddenly introduced in the ES6 section, but I had no idea what they were and I had to guess my way around the problems that involved them.

Thoughts: There's this common meme about programming.


I was in this situation at the end of Basic Algorithm Scripting. I was still trying to figure out which loop was which loop when my code passed.


Day 31: May 31, 2023


Today's Progress: I learned more about objects, constructors, and methods, which are never seen bearing the name, "method", so it can get confusing. I also learned about prototypes, inheritance, instances, and the constructor property, which seems invisible in a constructor.

Thoughts: I kept falling asleep in front of the computer while programming today because my kitten slept on my legs. I investigated further into the mystery and found this thread on Quora. It's strange there's no scientific research on it yet. I sometimes wonder if sleeping kittens release a sort of sedative on human skin that goes into the bloodstream and makes us zzzzz. ðŸ˜€


Day 32: June 1, 2023


Today's Progress: I finished the Object Oriented Programming section and continued to the Functional Programming section. I learned about mixins, modules, closure, and overriding inherited methods. I am now trying to figure out functional programming.

Thoughts: I found the Object Oriented Programming section fun and unusually easy, but now I find the next section hard.


Day 33: June 2, 2023


Today's Progress: This is the first time in my freeCodeCamp life that I got stuck in one lesson for a day. Well, one hour, actually. I have only one hour for programming today, it's a busy day. Thankfully, I have figured out so far that this problem is asking me to remove the tabs that are supposed to stay.

Thoughts: I feel like I am "on the scent" of a solution for this problem. I can almost reach it with my mind, it is near ... unless it's another dead-end. If only I had more time today. But it's a few minutes to midnight now and I should still do the laundry, feed the cats, etc. Then early again tomorrow.


Day 34: June 3, 2023


Today's Progress: I solved the problem from last night using Playcode


and duck debugging.


Then I proceeded further into the Functional Programming section to finally learn about .map() and .filter().

Thoughts: I feel relieved about solving the problem from last night. The problem haunted me all night. By sunrise, I conditioned my mind to be calm and clear enough to tackle it. I was so focused on solving code, there was a bit of collateral damage.

The first "victim" was my old table. I opened it while waiting for my rice to get cooked. Look at it, it's pretty:


I think the CPU is the small rectangle, the medium rectangle is the RAM, and the big rectangle is for permanent storage. Unless I'm wrong ... ðŸ¤”

The second was Meta. When I still had few Facebook friends, I always replied to each of their posts before making my own post. Now that it could take my whole lifetime to reply to each of their posts, I just make sure I don't miss their birthdays. I was sending birthday greetings to my Facebook friends when Facebook sent this error message:


Is this a variable, or a function that mutates an array? Bit it could really be just an error message.


Day 35: June 4, 2023


Today's Progress: I learned more about slice() and concat(). I learned that concat() actually doesn't mutate an array, just like slice(). Then I started studying reduce(). In the above image, I was testing if there was something wrong with my usage of parseInt().

Thoughts: I can't believe I am using all these new methods and I actually get some of them to work. I feel like I'm just blindly making my way through this course and just getting lucky. I feel like Peter Parker in this scene. It was his first web-swing and he still didn't have much of a clue about what was happening.


Link to work: My freeCodeCamp progress

No comments:

Books

Event Badges

Search This Blog

Popular Post

About Me

My photo
Philippines
Freelancer learning to build software

Views

(C) Copyright 2018, All rights resrved 1st Non-manuscript. Template by colorlib